Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RMAN clone database functionality - How to read a backup file?
Oracle DBA Forums > Oracle > Oracle Forum
appy11
Hi folks,

Another taxing problem! This time with RMAN. I would love it if someone could help me.

I'm trying to avail of the clone database feature RMAN has to clone a database to A DIFFERENT server.
I've got to the very final stage, my auxilliary database is all ready and waiting, I have my RMAN catalog and LIVE (target) database too. Auxilliary is in NOMOUNT state.

The problem I'm having is that when I issue the command:

DUPLICATE TARGET DATABASE TO DUP;

The cloning starts to work but I get an error message stack failure:
ORA-19505: failed to identify file "D:\ORACLE\RMAN\rman_datafile_piece"
ORA-27041: unable to open file
OSD-04002: unable to open file

Basically what it's saying is that it can't find the RMAN backup piece which is located on the LIVE (production) server along with the database I'm trying to clone. The file -is- there of course.

I've tried mapping to the location from the test server I'm cloning to using the same filepath structure, but that doesn't work either.

I think the only way I'm going to get this to work is to put another drive in the machine, assign it to drive letter "D" and make an identical filepath structure.

I've tried doing the same RMAN connection and duplication process from the production server but that doesn't work either (same error messages). The backup piece definetly exists.

Anyone know what I can do to get around this? Appreciate any ideas.

Both servers are Windows 2003 OS. Database is 9.2.0.7. Latest version of Perl installed too in case that was it. Note that the RMAN catalog is also on a different server.

Chris
ShawJ
Since you say that the files are there, try crosschecking your DB backups first, then run the clone script again:

crosscheck backup of database;

and you might also want to crosscheck your archive logs first:

change archivelog all crosscheck;

That way the system is not looking for expired/obsolete files.
appy11
That suggestion had been posed to me before and so I have tried to do that already. However, even after a successful crosschecking and deleting obsolete, it still can't seem to find the backup piece.

Thank you for the reply in any case.

Kind regards,

Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.