Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: block_change_tracking
Oracle DBA Forums > Oracle > Oracle Forum
nisseslim
About a month ago, due to some communication problem with ASM instance, block_change_tracking was automatically disabled by oracle. Since then the only impact I see is the slow rman backup. It used to take 10 hours and now it takes 40-48 hours. I want to enable block_change_tracking again but I am a bit cautious as it is a production server.

I have following questions :
- If I enable block_change_tracking, will I have any side affects on the system apart from normal overhead cost that comes with this service and is it safe to do it any time ?
- Can I just enable it and RMAN will notice it next time when it runs the incremental backup or should I enable it just before starting an incremental backup ?
burleson
Hi,

>> About a month ago, due to some communication problem with ASM instance, block_change_tracking was automatically disabled by oracle.

That's a serious production emergency. Is your database recoverable?

>> It used to take 10 hours and now it takes 40-48 hours.

And you cannot tell why? I'm guessing that RMAN is doing a full backup now . . . .

You need to get an RMAN expert to look into this.

Call Oracle at 800-223-1711 and tell them it is a production problem.

>> is it safe to do it any time ?

No, it is not safe. You must understand all of the details and remifications.

Read this carefully:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_block_change_tracking.htm

CODE
SQL> alter database enable block change tracking  using file '/u01/app/oracvle/mysid/data/block_change_tracking.dbf';

You may get it to turn-on but TAKE THE TIME TO TEST A RECOVERY.

If the database cannot be recovered you could lose your job!

Good Luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.