Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Obtaining the schema to compare with
Oracle DBA Forums > Oracle > Oracle Forum
iam33
Hi and thanks in advance!

Iīm thinking if my next questions is OT (please tell me it).

Sometimes, I need to compare an "external" DBs schema with other that I was to obtain the diferences.

For security reasons, to connect to those "external" DBs I must to "jump" between diferents servers, so all tools, that I know, not works fine or not works.

Someone, could tell me how to obtain an model, for example in a text file, and then compare it with another file of the "good" model?

Thanks again!
SteveC
Are you limited by tools? You could extract DDL via Toad and compare the files (which is pretty consistent in outputting objects in the same order). You can also connect via dblinks and extract metadata. You could use sendmail to mail the output and then use TextPad or some other text editor to compare the files. How are you actually limited in connecting to databases? Servers, maybe, but doesn't sound like your Oracle Net is restricted, correct?
burleson
>> I need to compare an "external" DBs schema with other that I was to obtain the diferences.

Oracle APEX has a schema compare utility:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_apex_html_db_r..._3_features.htm

Apex Application and Schema Comparison utility - The new Application Comparison utility is found under Application Reports > Cross Application. It can be used to identify differences between two selected applications. The Schema Comparison is found under Utilities. It is used to identify differences between objects in two different schemas.

For comparing Oracle schemas, you defmay want to buy a tool, as they are too complex to write yourself.

Here is a list of schema comparison tools for Oracle databases:

http://www.google.com/search?&q=oracle...rison%7Ccompare
iam33
Hi!

Thanks for all your answers, but not answered my question,probably because I have not explained well.
Iīll try to explain better...
I have an developer DB with an schema(called DES) and I need to compare with another production DB(called PRO) to obtain the differences. All tools you say, do that.

But there is a problem, PRO is in a hight security server and if you want to connect it, you must connect "jumping" among other servers,that is, you have to go by connecting one by one until you get to the PRO.
So, I thought to extract the PRO scheme to a file, pick it up to developer server and compare this with the DES.

I do not know if I have explained well. If you donīt understand me, plese say me.

Thanks!
HAL9000
"that is, you have to go by connecting one by one until you get to the PRO."

No, you don't. That's silly.

You are the DBA, right? If you are not the DBA, you have no business dong this.

YOU control data access, just have the tool connect to both schemas.

"So, I thought to extract the PRO scheme to a file"

So, do it! Just punch it off with dbms_metadata:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/art_builder_get_schema_syntax.htm
iam33
QUOTE (HAL9000 @ Jul 31 2008, 02:45 PM) *
"that is, you have to go by connecting one by one until you get to the PRO."

No, you don't. That's silly.

You are the DBA, right? If you are not the DBA, you have no business dong this.

YOU control data access, just have the tool connect to both schemas.

thanks hall900!!

I said you: the "external DB" is a PRO DB, and Iīm DBA developer, so I havenīt control of this DB.
If I were the DBA I could connect between those DBs and do the comparison.

I canīt stablish a connection directly between those DBs or I donīt know the method... wink.gif

Sorry for my unknoledge in dbms_metadata...but Could I extract the schema only without expresions like "CREATE"?, is that, can I extract this like describe format?

thousand thanks!
burleson
>> Could I extract the schema only without expresions like "CREATE"

No, but you can easily change it:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/art_builder_get_schema_syntax.htm
iam33
thanks Donald!

I will try to do it, and I hope I can say Great!!!!

thanks again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.