Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to restore a Database from a full backup and as a new database name
Oracle DBA Forums > Oracle > Oracle Forum
Judy
Hi all,

I am new to Oracle. From Yesterday, I installed a Oracle 11g Database and took me 3 hours to figure out how to do a full backup. After that, I want to test how to restore it as new db and not overwrite the old db.

is there a GUI tool I can implement it? or How can I do this from RMAN/SQLPLUS?

I have a full backup from EM. It is including datafile , archivelog and control file. names like below.

O1_MF_NNNDF_BACKUP_SAMPLE.MEDI_0_48N74O9Z_.BKP
O1_MF_NCSNF_BACKUP_SAMPLE.MEDI_0_48N78PO7_.BKP
O1_MF_ANNNN_BACKUP_SAMPLE.MEDI_0_48N7923N_.BKP

And another question, I have a new project which will use Oracle. Client will provide us Database and I will restore it to our Oracle Server.
which kind of format for me is easy to install this DB?
1. Directly cold copy.
2. full backup

Thanks Alot
SteveC
If you are new to Oracle and asking about how to restore a database, there is going to be quite the gap between new and what it takes (as in, what you need to know). Do you have any database administration experience at all (as in, MSSQL, DB2, etc.), or is this area also new to you? I ask because it helps frame other answers.
Judy
QUOTE (SteveC @ Jul 25 2008, 07:46 PM) *
If you are new to Oracle and asking about how to restore a database, there is going to be quite the gap between new and what it takes (as in, what you need to know). Do you have any database administration experience at all (as in, MSSQL, DB2, etc.), or is this area also new to you? I ask because it helps frame other answers.

Thank you for your reply.

I know MSSQL. But Oracle is quite different with MSSQL. in MSSQL, it is easy to create a new database from other DB backup using GUI or SQL Query.
aussie_dba
Hello Judy,

"took me 3 hours to figure out how to do a full backup."

What Oracle tool did you use? RMAN, Data Pump?

Oracle is the world's most robust and sophistcated database, there are many ways to do things!

"After that, I want to test how to restore it as new db and not overwrite the old db."

I would use RMAN, if you are not doing do already. Here are some notes:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/concepts/rman.htm

Since you already know DBA and just want to learn Oracle, I would get the "Easy Oracle Jumpstart" book, perfect if you already know the concepts:

http://www.rampant-books.com/book_2005_1_e...e_jumpstart.htm
Judy
I did backup from Oracle EM. maybe, it is not a good place to do this.

thanks for your refernece, I will read it and get some basic concept first.
burleson
Hi Judy,

>> I did backup from Oracle EM

OEM is a crutch for beginners, the vast majority of working DBA's use Oracle scripts. They are far more flexible and easier to manage. You you don't want to write your own, you can buy Oracle script collections:

http://www.oracle-script.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.