Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: redo log file invalidated
Oracle DBA Forums > Oracle > Oracle Forum
Sarge
There are no errors in any logs. There is no indication that new redo logs were created.
The following is the result of running:
select member, a.group#, b.status, a.status logstat
from v$logfile a, v$log b
where a.group# = b.group#;

Here is the result:
Member Group# Status Use Status
e:\oracle\oradata\dbname\redo_G1M1.log 1 unused
f:\oracle\oradata\dbname\redo_G1M2.log 1 unused
j:\oracle\oradata\dbname\redo_G1M3.log 1 unused
e:\oracle\oradata\dbname\redo_G2M1.log 2 inactive
f:\oracle\oradata\dbname\redo_G2M2.log 2 inactive
j:\oracle\oradata\dbname\redo_G2M3.log 2 inactive
e:\oracle\oradata\dbname\redo_G3M1.log 3 invalidated
f:\oracle\oradata\dbname\redo_G3M2.log 3 invalidated
j:\oracle\oradata\dbname\redo_G3M3.log 3 invalidated

I am using Oracle10g client and the database is on Oracle 9i and Windows 2000 EE.

I could not find anything about invalidated redo log files. And at this particular time there was no current redo log group. Can anyone explain the status of these redo log files. Everything is running and the database never showed any issues. Any help would be appreciated
SteveC
I am suspect of the output. The output should be all uppercase. What you posted is not direct result of the query shown. There is no status of invalidated. INVALID yes, invalidated, no.
Jac
QUOTE (Sarge @ Jul 23 2008, 08:18 PM) *
There are no errors in any logs. There is no indication that new redo logs were created.
The following is the result of running:

Here is the result:
Member Group# Status Use Status
e:\oracle\oradata\dbname\redo_G1M1.log 1 unused
f:\oracle\oradata\dbname\redo_G1M2.log 1 unused
j:\oracle\oradata\dbname\redo_G1M3.log 1 unused
e:\oracle\oradata\dbname\redo_G2M1.log 2 inactive
f:\oracle\oradata\dbname\redo_G2M2.log 2 inactive
j:\oracle\oradata\dbname\redo_G2M3.log 2 inactive
e:\oracle\oradata\dbname\redo_G3M1.log 3 invalidated
f:\oracle\oradata\dbname\redo_G3M2.log 3 invalidated
j:\oracle\oradata\dbname\redo_G3M3.log 3 invalidated

I am using Oracle10g client and the database is on Oracle 9i and Windows 2000 EE.

I could not find anything about invalidated redo log files. And at this particular time there was no current redo log group. Can anyone explain the status of these redo log files. Everything is running and the database never showed any issues. Any help would be appreciated

http://www.acs.ilstu.edu/docs/oracle/serve...nviews_1126.htm
SteveC
And, are you sure of which database version you are actually using?

QUOTE (Jac @ Jul 23 2008, 10:32 AM) *

Why not use the links provided by Oracle instead of some random place?

The OP's query is getting the status from v$logfile, not v$log. V$log in 10.1 has invalidated, but not in 9i or 10.2.
Jac
QUOTE (SteveC @ Jul 23 2008, 09:15 PM) *

The OP's query is getting the status from v$logfile, not v$log. V$log in 10.1 has invalidated, but not in 9i or 10.2.

@SteveC
>> The OP's query is getting the status from v$logfile, not v$log
Please look at the query op is using - again. v$log.status is referenced.

>> Can anyone explain the status of these redo log files.
link provided explains the meaning of the status in question.

>> Why not use the links provided by Oracle instead of some random place?
what is your problem if i use link from illionis state university?
Sarge
QUOTE (SteveC @ Jul 23 2008, 10:45 AM) *
Yes the database itself is 9.2.0.7 I am using a 10.2.0.3 Oracle Client because I also run some 10g databases

?? Don't get the question. If it is in reference to looking at Oracle first I did reference the 9i documentation
and it doesn't show invalidated for this version. I know it showed this for 10g but I am only using a 10g client not a database. I didn't know it would give you 10g status for a 9i database.

As indicated above I am using a 10.2.0.3 version of the client and I got this status?

And yes the output of the query should be in caps. That is not my actual output for reasons that I can't explain I don't have access to the internet on the same machine I have the database. The important thing here was the output of invalidated.
SteveC
OP stated using version 9i for database. Invalidated will never appear in any 9i query using v$log or V$logfile. Hence, my original comment about the output being suspect.

You can use whatever you want for links. With respect to Oracle documentation, who do you think is going to be more up to date or accurate: Oracle, or any number of places that download libraries and post them for the public to see? The licensing guide, as an example, will be updated at tahiti.oracle.com, but not as likely to be at Podunk U. That's all.

For Sarge -

After some editing - I see which versions you are using. The client software is not going to override what the data dictionary has. In other words, a 10.2.0.3 client is not going to insert a status of invalidated from a query against a 9.2.0.7 database.

Does v$log in 9.2.0.7 hav invalidated as a status? The latest set of docs shows that it does not.
Jac
QUOTE (SteveC @ Jul 23 2008, 09:56 PM) *
OP stated using version 9i for database. Invalidated will never appear in any 9i query using v$log or V$logfile. Hence, my original comment about the output being suspect.

You can use whatever you want for links. With respect to Oracle documentation, who do you think is going to be more up to date or accurate: Oracle, or any number of places that download libraries and post them for the public to see? The licensing guide, as an example, will be updated at tahiti.oracle.com, but not as likely to be at Podunk U. That's all.

your comments

>> " The OP's query is getting the status from v$logfile, not v$log."
are wrong - unfortunately. Please see the query again!

>> who do you think is going to be more up to date or accurate: Oracle, or any number of places that download libraries and post them for the public to see?

This point is irrelevant as latest & uptodate documentation is for Oracle Release 11 where OP wants to understand the meaning of v$log.status's value that was from previous release. Link provided explains the meaning.

>> .... but not as likely to be at Podunk U.

if only Oracle itself can be accurate and you should only hear/see/read from horses mouth - than why should one care about your suspicious question. are you oracle? or even this forum is from oracle ?

what a shame - your whole poster is more self projecting and being an advertising rant for oracle rather focusing on solution. Shame!
Sarge
QUOTE (SteveC @ Jul 23 2008, 11:36 AM) *

For Sarge -

After some editing - I see which versions you are using. The client software is not going to override what the data dictionary has. In other words, a 10.2.0.3 client is not going to insert a status of invalidated from a query against a 9.2.0.7 database.

Does v$log in 9.2.0.7 hav invalidated as a status? The latest set of docs shows that it does not.

Then I am a little puzzled by the output. This is not my first day, I know what version of the database I am using and that is 9.2.0.7. I was just looking for someone who might have come across the same thing and what they may have discovered.
SteveC
QUOTE (Jac @ Jul 23 2008, 12:00 PM) *
your comments

>> " The OP's query is getting the status from v$logfile, not v$log."
are wrong - unfortunately. Please see the query again!
>> who do you think is going to be more up to date or accurate: Oracle, or any number of places that download libraries and post them for the public to see?

This point is irrelevant as latest & uptodate documentation is for Oracle Release 11 where OP wants to understand the meaning of v$log.status's value that was from previous release. Link provided explains the meaning.

>> .... but not as likely to be at Podunk U.

if only Oracle itself can be accurate and you should only hear/see/read from horses mouth - than why should one care about your suspicious question. are you oracle? or even this forum is from oracle ?

what a shame - your whole poster is more self projecting and being an advertising rant for oracle rather focusing on solution. Shame!

If you have issues with Oracle Corp, take it up with them. The only rant here is yours. You provided a link to 10.1 documentation, not the OP's stated version, or even the latest version you just ranted about, which, by the way, does not show invalidated as a valid value from either DD view. What is your point?

The query, in case you have display issues on your browser, is selecting four columns, but the output only shows three. The status column is coming from both DD views. Either way, invalidated is not a valid output in either view in 9i. Do you not see b.status followed by a.status (with a.status being aliased as logstat)?

Jac
QUOTE (SteveC @ Jul 23 2008, 10:41 PM) *
If you have issues with Oracle Corp, take it up with them. The only rant here is yours. You provided a link to 10.1 documentation, not the OP's stated version, or even the latest version you just ranted about, which, by the way, does not show invalidated as a valid value from either DD view. What is your point?

The query, in case you have display issues on your browser, is selecting four columns, but the output only shows three. The status column is coming from both DD views. Either way, invalidated is not a valid output in either view in 9i. Do you not see b.status followed by a.status (with a.status being aliased as logstat)?

i don't have any issue with oracle, you had non-issue with link & U. OP is seeking meaning for the value in v$log.status and the link provided answers that.

if you look at the query and output's caption i.e. "Member Group# Status Use Status"

a.status is aliased as logstat where output is captioned as status not 'logstat' which is from v$log. can you see that ... now
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.