Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Database Creation Problems
Oracle DBA Forums > Oracle > Oracle Forum
Oraclelearner
Hello everyone,

I'm creating an 8i database manually on a windows 2003 SP2 machine. I'm able to connect to the idle instance just fine. However, when I run one of my create database scripts, I receive the following error:

ERROR:
ORA-24327: need explicit attach before authenticating a user

Warning: You are no longer connected to ORACLE.
ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
SP2-0640: Not connected
Input truncated to 9 characters

Can anyone please shed some light on this problem?

Regards,
Oraclelearner
Asad
QUOTE (Oraclelearner @ Jul 22 2008, 06:26 PM) *
Hello everyone,

I'm creating an 8i database manually on a windows 2003 SP2 machine. I'm able to connect to the idle instance just fine. However, when I run one of my create database scripts, I receive the following error:

ERROR:
ORA-24327: need explicit attach before authenticating a user
Warning: You are no longer connected to ORACLE.
ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
SP2-0640: Not connected
Input truncated to 9 characters

Can anyone please shed some light on this problem?

Regards,
Oraclelearner

are you making local sys connection or using services?
SteveC
Oracle8i was ever certified on Windows 2003. Why would you be trying this invalid/unsupported combination?
Oraclelearner
QUOTE (SteveC @ Jul 22 2008, 11:59 AM) *
Oracle8i was ever certified on Windows 2003. Why would you be trying this invalid/unsupported combination?

Hi Steve,

what do you mean by "invalid/unsupported combination"

Do you mean that Oracle will not work corretly on Win2k3 and that Oracle will not provide support with problems that are incurred on this platform.

Regards,
Oraclelearner

QUOTE (Asad @ Jul 22 2008, 11:40 AM) *
are you making local sys connection or using services?

Hi Asad,

I am using services
Asad
QUOTE (Oraclelearner @ Jul 22 2008, 07:10 PM) *
Hi Steve,

Do you mean that Oracle will not work corretly on Win2k3 and that Oracle will not provide support with problems that are incurred on this platform.

Regards,
Oraclelearner
Hi Asad,

I am using services

kindly make a local connection i.e. "conn / as sysdba" lets see if you can run your create database... command without error. letus know if it works - thnx
SteveC
Kindly use a supported combination. The rest of this exercise is an academic drill.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/oracle8i.html

QUOTE (Oraclelearner @ Jul 22 2008, 01:10 PM) *
Hi Steve,

Regards,
Oraclelearner
Hi Asad,

I am using services

I guess you haven't read the installation guide or checked anything on MetaLink.
Ben Prusinski Oracle DBA
I agree here with Steve. You should be using either Oracle 10g or 11g. Oracle 8i is now desupported and obsolete.
Oraclelearner
QUOTE (Ben Prusinski Oracle DBA @ Jul 22 2008, 12:59 PM) *
I agree here with Steve. You should be using either Oracle 10g or 11g. Oracle 8i is now desupported and obsolete.

Thanks
Oraclelearner
QUOTE (Oraclelearner @ Jul 22 2008, 01:17 PM) *
Thanks

Hi, I want to thank everyone for their timely responses.

I realized what I was doing wrong. I was trying to create an 8i database in SQL Plus and not at the svrmgrl > . I exectued all my create database scripts here and my database was created successfully.

Regards,
Oraclelearner
SteveC
That is not the mistake you made. The create database statement works in several places.
Oraclelearner
QUOTE (SteveC @ Jul 22 2008, 01:46 PM) *
That is not the mistake you made. The create database statement works in several places.

Steve, you're absolutely correct. I discovered that my correct string pointing to my database was incorrect.

Regards,
Oraclelearner
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.