Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ora-24324 Improper Service Control Handle
Oracle DBA Forums > Oracle > Oracle Forum
Sarge
I was working on changing the dump parameters in my init.ora file. All that I changed was the drive letter that these dump files would be copied to. Things seemed to go ok. I changed the init file and stopped the database. I started it back up with the new init.ora file and the database opened again. We open this database using a spfile so I created the spfile from the pfile and closed the database at which time I received an Ora-03113 end-of-file on communication channel. Since the only changes made to the init file where drive letters we tried to open one more time using the pfile and then we received ORA-24324. We looked at all logs and there were no errors. Since the 3113 error sometimes has to do with sqlnet we checked the ora file out and made sure that nothing out of the ordinary was contained in this files. After reading some posts on Metalink and Oracle I decided to try to sign in from a command prompt and instead of calling the following:
set oracle_sid=mydatabase I keyed in set oracle_sid=MYDATABASE
and I started up my database using the old init.ora file. It opened without errors.

First I didn't think case made a difference in these commands?
So I checked out my tnsnames file and I had the following in it:

MYDATABASE.WORLD
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL =TCP)(HOST=MYDATABASE)(PORT=1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = MYDATABASE)
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
)
)

MYDATABASE
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL =TCP)(HOST=MYDATABASE)(PORT=1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = mydatabase)
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
)
)

The LISTENER.ORA file has the following:
global_dbname = mydatabase
sid_name = MYDATABASE

The TNSNAMES.ORA file has the following:
names.default_domain = WORLD
names.directory_path = TNSNAMES

Am I on the right track to resolving why I received the Oracle errors or should I be looking at something else. Once again I didn't think case mattered. So why was I able to start the database only after setting the oracle_sid with capital letters?
SteveC
"All that I changed was the drive letter that these dump files would be copied to."

And, of course, you created the new paths/folders, and oracle has read/write permissions on these new paths/folders?
Sarge
QUOTE (SteveC @ Jul 22 2008, 12:10 PM) *
"All that I changed was the drive letter that these dump files would be copied to."

And, of course, you created the new paths/folders, and oracle has read/write permissions on these new paths/folders?

That is correct
HAL9000
Sarge,

"Since the only changes made to the init file where drive letters we tried to open one more time using the pfile and then we received ORA-24324."

This looks like maybe something was not started properly, maybe your listener needed bouncing?

ORA-24324: service handle not initialized

Cause: An attempt was made to use an improper service context handle.

Action: Verify that the service context handle has all the parameters initialized prior to this call.

"set oracle_sid=mydatabase I keyed in set oracle_sid=MYDATABASE"

You are saying the the UPPERCASE made a difference?
Sarge
QUOTE (HAL9000 @ Jul 22 2008, 03:36 PM) *
Sarge,

"Since the only changes made to the init file where drive letters we tried to open one more time using the pfile and then we received ORA-24324."

This looks like maybe something was not started properly, maybe your listener needed bouncing?
"set oracle_sid=mydatabase I keyed in set oracle_sid=MYDATABASE"

You are saying the the UPPERCASE made a difference?

Yes. When I was setting the oracle_sid in lower case I kept on getting the error. The moment I used uppercase the database opened. We were pretty shocked as well as everything I know says that case doesn't matter. I am going to test the whole theory on an extra box again to see if I can duplicate the errors and then change the case when setting the sid and see if I can clear the errors the same way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.