Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ORA-01017 error and re-create password file?
Oracle DBA Forums > Oracle > Oracle Forum
traveller
I used TOAD 9.5 to log in one Oracle 10g database with sys/password as sysdba. It worked fine always. However, today I tried to log in again and come across the ORA-01017 error. Invalid username/password. Then I went to windows server command line to log in as conn / as sysdba and also log in conn sys/password@sid as sysdba, I all logged in successfully. I checked the password file is in $oracle_home\database\. I logged in as normal user successfully.

My question is: what caused this ORA-error? how to fix it? Is it necessary for me to re-create password file to fix this? Or there is other options? Thanks.
SteveC
You need to read up on how connecting as sys works.

This is on the server:

SQL> conn sys/junk_password as sysdba
Connected.
SQL> conn / as sysdba
Connected.
SQL> conn sys/some_other_bogus_password as sysdba
Connected.

Why would you connect as sysdba using Toad? Although you can, why would you instead of using command line? What special privileged operation do you want to perform via Toad? Did you enter the password correctly in the Toad session? Did someone change the password?
traveller
Why do I connect as sysdba using TOAD? Because TOAD allow me to login as sysdba to do my work remotely. I can login from command line. But I have to login DB server first. Using TOAD is just from my desktop. I am sure that my enter is correct. Who change password? I don't think so. It must be other reasons. This is why I need your help.
Asad
QUOTE (traveller @ Jul 22 2008, 05:10 PM) *
I used TOAD 9.5 to log in one Oracle 10g database with sys/password as sysdba. It worked fine always. However, today I tried to log in again and come across the ORA-01017 error. Invalid username/password. Then I went to windows server command line to log in as conn / as sysdba and also log in conn sys/password@sid as sysdba, I all logged in successfully. I checked the password file is in $oracle_home\database\. I logged in as normal user successfully.

My question is: what caused this ORA-error? how to fix it? Is it necessary for me to re-create password file to fix this? Or there is other options? Thanks.

on client side - can you please check if your TNSNAMES.ora file is pointing to the right database and you've selected the right oracle_home, Also please confirm if sqlnet file is using right protocols.
SteveC
"Because TOAD allow me to login as sysdba to do my work remotely."

You missed the point of this entirely. Just because the tool allows it doesn't mean you should. Again, what sys-level operations are you performing from a third party tool that a lower level privileged user (system, or a user granted dba role) could be doing?
traveller
I don't agree with you at this point. If any work can be done by TOAD as sysdba. I will use TOAD. If any work can not be done by TOAD. I will go to DB Server to log in as sysdba to do it. You didn't stick on my question and only ask other things. Thanks.

QUOTE (SteveC @ Jul 22 2008, 06:45 PM) *
"Because TOAD allow me to login as sysdba to do my work remotely."

You missed the point of this entirely. Just because the tool allows it doesn't mean you should. Again, what sys-level operations are you performing from a third party tool that a lower level privileged user (system, or a user granted dba role) could be doing?
HAL9000
"If any work can be done by TOAD as sysdba. I will use TOAD. "

TOAD? Are you serious? I don't know a single DBA who needs a beginner crutch like TOAD.

I would never perform a SYS operation remotely.

"You didn't stick on my question and only ask other things."

Because your question was glaringly incomplete, and more information was needed.

"I don't agree with you at this point. "

Ha! Ha!

If you think that you know more that a West Point trained engineer and one of Oracle's top authors (Steve Callan), then perhaps you should should be tutoring us.

http://www.databasejournal.com/article.php/3099361

This is an Oracle DBA forum, we don't use TOAD!

Tell us, where did you get your masters degree in computer science?
SteveC
QUOTE (traveller @ Jul 22 2008, 03:59 PM) *
I don't agree with you at this point. If any work can be done by TOAD as sysdba. I will use TOAD. If any work can not be done by TOAD. I will go to DB Server to log in as sysdba to do it. You didn't stick on my question and only ask other things. Thanks.

Here is an analogy for you: You are trying to use a lighter to provide some light while inside a gas tank. Sure, people can help you fix the lighter. If someone offers a suggestion to you about the dangers of using a lighter in that environment (e.g., use a flashlight instead, that is, use sysdba while on the server and not via a tool that is not entirely stable/locks up frequently), you're going to complain and say, "You didn't stick on my question and only ask other things?"

Good luck with that. Toad is very good for some things. In case you didn't know, Toads can bite and you will get bit. I guarantee it.

Further, the latest release is in the 9.6 series.
traveller
HAL900 and SteveC:

Both of you are very experienced Oracle DBA, I respect your expertise and appreciate your advice on this forum. But we are talking about apple and banana here. I am asking the questions doesn't mean that I will always use TOAD to do sysdba job. But loging in TOAD as sysdba can do some jobs. I have been done this for years and never be bitted by TOAD. I only need your advice to find the problem. Not your education how to use TOAD or sysdba on server.

No mateer which school you graduated from and how many years experience you have, on this forum, we are equal. I also hold one BS, one MS and one MBA degrees from one of top 50 universities in US. This will tell nothing. Bill Gates even didn't finish his undergradute education.
burleson
Hi Traveller,

>> But we are talking about apple and banana here.

I read this, and I don't understand your question.

In your first post, you asked why TOAD threw an error. Who knows?

Can you please re-state your question, please?
traveller
burleson:

I am sorry that this thread has botherred you. I have been using TOAD to login DB to do some DBA work with different version of Oracle DB on different platform. Recently I switched to a new comapny as DBA. I used TOAD 9.5 to login DB as sysdba (in TOAD there are 3 login modes - sysdba, sysoper and normal). In begining, I logged in and did some work successfully. Then one day, I could not login with ORA-01017 error. Then I went to server and login as: conn / as sysdba successfully. Then I tried login as conn sys/password@DBSID as sysdba successfully. Then I queryed by : select * from v$pwfile_users; , I got sys.

From above trials, it seems that password file is fine. My oracle client is still in 10.2.0.1 version and DB has been patched (done by previoue DBA) to 10.2.0.3 patch2. TOAD use tnsnames and sqlnet from local oracle client home to connect to DB on server remotely. Is this the reason to cause ORA-01017? Then I used: alter user system identified by new_password;. Then login as system in normal mode successfully even client tool is still in 10.2.0.1 and DB on server is 10.2.0.3 patch2.

I just want to idenfy the problem and still login with TOAD as sysdba to do some work. However, I will never give up login with / as sysdba to do most DBA work on server side. Please advise. Thanks.

QUOTE (burleson @ Jul 23 2008, 04:27 PM) *
Hi Traveller,

>> But we are talking about apple and banana here.

I read this, and I don't understand your question.

In your first post, you asked why TOAD threw an error. Who knows?

Can you please re-state your question, please?
aussie_dba
"Please advise. "

Advise on what? TOAD? Here you are, DO NOT USE TOAD.

"Is this the reason to cause ORA-01017? "

I would try contacting Quest.

Nobody in an Oracle DBA forum is going to know anything about TOAD, it's for developers and newbies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.