Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what ETL toools can be used?Globus to ORACLE
Oracle DBA Forums > Oracle > Oracle Forum
pespes
WHAT ETL TOOLS CAN BE USED FOR TRANSFER OF DATABASE FROM GLOBUS TO ORACLE

THANKS IN ADVANCE
SteveC
Are you referring to the Globus Toolkit? If so, isn't that more of a service architecture? Which database system are you trying to migrate from?
pespes
from globus to oracle
HAL9000
"from globus to oracle"

No, globus is NOT a database.

Ian Foster's Globus grid toolkit (www.globus.org) is a grid SOA.

"The Globus Toolkit is an open source software toolkit used for building Grid systems and applications. It is being developed by the Globus Alliance and many others all over the world.

A growing number of projects and companies are using the Globus Toolkit to unlock the potential of grids for their cause."
aussie_dba
It also says that the Globus Workspace Management Service (WMS) has a database persistence store.

To move to Oracle, extract the persistent objects, and map them to relational tables.

But be aware of the impedence mismatch, a problem with this type of migration:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/books/pdfs/webdev_ch1.pdf
pespes
the db is actually universe 9.6.2.3 and we are contemplating moving the db to an oracle platform .

the banking core application of my client is on GLOBUS AND is required to be transferred to an oracle middleware.

so how can this be done ?
SteveC
Re-architect what GLOBUS does and use Oracle's infrastructure. Part of that would be to migrate DB2 to Oracle, of which you have several options on how to accomplish that. Find the similar components in Oracle (e.g., Application Server, RAC) which match what GLOBUS does. After you leave GLOBUS, that leaves like what, two other people who use it?
pespes
could you give me a guided step to that effect?

Do you know anyone who has done a similar project?

thanks in advance .
SteveC
Aside from you, I don't know anyone who has used GLOBUS. It is pretty obscure. The DB migration part you can research via published documentation (Oracle has tools for this as do other vendors).
pespes
now i need to know if universe db can be transferred to oracle10g.

i know of some etl tools ,but which do you think is much more approipiate?
HAL9000
"Do you know anyone who has done a similar project?"

The folks at Burleson Consulting do Oracle migrations frequently, and they have utilities that automate much of the process. If you want real experts at Oracle migrations, you can call them for support at 800-766-1884:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/s_migration_support_consulting.htm
aussie_dba
"universe db can be transferred to oracle10g."

UniVerse is like TopLink, so yes, it can be migrated to Oracle, provided that you manage the object to table mappings properly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.