Jul 4 2008, 04:44 AM
I have 100GB of DB on Oracle 9i.
I am using following method for RMAN Backup
Plan - 1
Monday to Saturday - Differential Incremental Level 1
Plan - 2
Once a month - Level 0
Cummulative - Every Sunday
Differential Incremental - Monday to Saturday
Which plan is better and why? Also which level (1 or 2) should I use for cummulative and incremental plan 2?
Jul 4 2008, 09:28 AM
Only you can answer which is better for your situation.
The primary reasons for making an incremental backup arehttp://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_...onc1.htm#458778
* To save tape when using a media manager or disk space when making disk backups
* To save network bandwidth when backing up over a network
* When the aggregate tape bandwidth available for tape write I/Os is much less than the aggregate disk bandwidth for disk read I/Os
* To be able to recover changes to objects created with the NOLOGGING option (direct load inserts do not log redo, although they do change data blocks and so are captured by incremental backups)
* To reduce backup sizes for NOARCHIVELOG databases. Instead of making a whole database backup every time, you can make incremental backups. Note that incremental backups of a NOARCHIVELOG database are only legal after a consistent shutdown.
Jul 4 2008, 10:50 AM
When choosing which approach is "best", you need a book.
I like the Robert Freeman book on RMAN:http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id...5&ct=result