Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An extreme case of recovery
Oracle DBA Forums > Oracle > Oracle Forum
cagataycebi
The situation I am going to tell you didn't happen to me. Thank God! smile.gif

I wonder, an extreme recovery case. For example, think a database in archivelog mode that we are trying to recover. The case is; redo logs are lost and archivelogs are older than five minutes before the crash. Is it possible to recover losseless?

I mean, if redo logs are not switched to archivelogs and redo logs are lost; is it possible to recover with zero data loss?

Thanks,
Cagatay
dave
you can only recover up to the last arvhice log - that is not an 'extreme' recovery situation - that is a normal recovery situation

if you want no data loss look at dataguad with maximum protection
cagataycebi
QUOTE (dave @ Jun 26 2008, 10:05 AM) *
you can only recover up to the last arvhice log - that is not an 'extreme' recovery situation - that is a normal recovery situation

if you want no data loss look at dataguad with maximum protection

Thanks for answer.

What if I have redo logs; do i still recover up to last archive log?
dave
if you have the redo logs then you can recover up to the last committed transaction
cagataycebi
QUOTE (dave @ Jun 26 2008, 11:39 AM) *
if you have the redo logs then you can recover up to the last committed transaction

So... How should I use redo logs? Just copying from one location to another is enough?

When I recover from a hotbackup; I generate a control file and use this. And this script creates controlfile and new redo log files. Then I start to apply archive logs. (This is a classic scenario as all of you would know.)

If I have redo log files; how should I apply these? Just copying is enough?

P.S.: The recovery scenario I mentioned above can be different of course. For example you don't have to use controlfile create script. But the state I am in, needs that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.