Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Control RMAN backup/
Oracle DBA Forums > Oracle > Oracle Forum
Balasubramanian
Hello All,

We have a database of size 9T. We have planned to implement the rman back stratergy to happen every week-end. We have 5 mount points (NFS mounted) each of 1T where the back up is expected to reside automatically. Could you let me know how to evenly distribute the rman backup across the 5 mount points?

Reason for evenly distribution is space maintanance/usage/maintanance on mount-points.

Does MAXSETSIZE, MAXPIECESIZE and FILESPERSET help us in this case?.

Your replies are appreciated well in advance.

Thanks n advance.

Bala.
dave
you have a 9Tb database but only 5Tb to back it up to - how is that going to fit?
Balasubramanian
QUOTE (Balasubramanian @ Jun 17 2008, 11:48 AM) *
Hello All,

We have a database of size 9T. We have planned to implement the rman back stratergy to happen every week-end. We have 5 mount points (NFS mounted) each of 1T where the back up is expected to reside automatically. Could you let me know how to evenly distribute the rman backup across the 5 mount points?

Reason for evenly distribution is space maintanance/usage/maintanance on mount-points.

Does MAXSETSIZE, MAXPIECESIZE and FILESPERSET help us in this case?.

Your replies are appreciated well in advance.

Thanks n advance.

Bala.

Dave--

Anyways, the backup will be compressed and we have some backup to settle in tape disks. So that is not a tough challenge. The only deal we have is how to evenly distribute the backup across mounted disks.

Thanks n advance,

Bala
burleson
Hi Bala,

>> Could you let me know how to evenly distribute the rman backup across the 5 mount points?

It's done with the "disk format" command, I think.

RUN
{
ALLOCATE CHANNEL c1 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/u01/xxx';
ALLOCATE CHANNEL c2 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/u02/xxx';
BACKUP DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG;
}

Something like that . . . .

Or perhaps:

CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/u01/%U', '/u02/%U';
Balasubramanian
QUOTE (burleson @ Jun 18 2008, 01:21 AM) *
Hi Bala,

>> Could you let me know how to evenly distribute the rman backup across the 5 mount points?

It's done with the "disk format" command, I think.

RUN
{
ALLOCATE CHANNEL c1 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/u01/xxx';
ALLOCATE CHANNEL c2 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/u02/xxx';
BACKUP DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG;
}

Something like that . . . .

Or perhaps:

CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/u01/%U', '/u02/%U';

Burleson,

Thanks for your update.

We have scheduled the backup and condition is it shoud not exceed certain limit in each mount points.

We have used ths maxsetsize and maxpiecesize to achieve it.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks,

Bala
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.