Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oracle 11g - TO GO OR NOT TO GO
Oracle DBA Forums > Oracle > Oracle Forum
Djuro
Hi gurus,

I have a difficult question.

We have bought new 2 IBM hosts on Power6 processors and we should migrate of our databases production and development to this new platform on AIX 6.1.

We running the bank business.

Is it smart to go to version 11g. What do you think ?

Is version 11g stable or, still has childhood diseases?

Regards Djuro
burleson
The first release of any product is chancey.

I would wait for 11gr2, coming soon:

http://pbarut.blogspot.com/2008/04/oracle-...-is-coming.html
dave
QUOTE (Djuro @ Jun 2 2008, 01:57 PM) *
Hi gurus,

I have a difficult question.

We have bought new 2 IBM hosts on Power6 processors and we should migrate of our databases production and development to this new platform on AIX 6.1.

We running the bank business.

Is it smart to go to version 11g. What do you think ?

Is version 11g stable or, still has childhood diseases?

Regards Djuro

test it is the only answer, 10g R2 might have some show stopper bug which is fixed in 11 so it might be the perfect release for you.

test test and test
aussie_dba
"We running the bank business"

You will have to perform complete testing, by law, so whatever works should be fine.
Madrid
At metalink the patchset list already shows the 11.1.0.7.0 patchset, which means this is still in the process of improvement, and it is already thinking about releasing this patchset soon.

I would not go for a production environment immediately, but I would setup a testing environment where it could be used to certify the applications and get acquainted with new features.
burleson
Hector, welcome to our forum!

It's an honor to have another respected expert here!
dave
QUOTE (Madrid @ Jun 2 2008, 10:02 PM) *
At metalink the patchset list already shows the 11.1.0.7.0 patchset, which means this is still in the process of improvement, and it is already thinking about releasing this patchset soon.

I would not go for a production environment immediately, but I would setup a testing environment where it could be used to certify the applications and get acquainted with new features.

such rubbish - you have no idea what the op uses, what the op needs - 11g might be the best release fpr him, to say dont use it is utter crap and not helping at all
burleson
Dave,

The OP asked for opinions, and Hector gave his . . . .

>> I would not go for a production environment immediately

I agree! Every new release can be risky, and banks don't like risk . . . .
Madrid
QUOTE (dave @ Jun 2 2008, 05:09 PM) *
such rubbish - you have no idea what the op uses, what the op needs - 11g might be the best release fpr him, to say dont use it is utter crap and not helping at all

Dave,

Greetings for you too! I assume you feel free to address to me in such a condescendent way because you know what exactly the OP requires.

You should be careful with the words you use, you never know who you are talking to. And it looks like you forget that the spirit of the forum is the ideas and knowledge exchange, which must be in a respectful way to promote a good atmosphere.

Regards.

QUOTE (burleson @ Jun 2 2008, 04:30 PM) *
Hector, welcome to our forum!

It's an honor to have another respected expert here!

Don,

Thank you, I would have started earlier, but as you have noticed, there were some technical difficulties, but I am flattered to be personally welcomed by You.

I am still in the process of getting to know the forum, it is the same feeling as driving a new car, you must get used to how the control panel is distributed.

Best Regards.
burleson
>> I assume you feel free to address to me in such a condescendent way

Don't mind Dave, he is a nice fellow, he just gets cranky sometimes . . . .

Again, welcome!
Madrid
QUOTE (burleson @ Jun 2 2008, 06:16 PM) *
>> I assume you feel free to address to me in such a condescendent way

Don't mind Dave, he is a nice fellow, he just gets cranky sometimes . . . .

Again, welcome!

Ok,

Never mind, it is a new community for me and I just got to know Who's who here. I have made a lot of friends through the forums, and this will be the same here. Fortunately, as far as I can see from the forum politics and procedure, this forum can be more easily cleaned up of sybrandish like individuals.

Regards.
mlakdawa
Same dilemna. Checking out metalink note 468472.1 gives me the jitters. Maybe 11g is not ready for production as yet. Appreciate if anybody has more information.
aussie_dba
Me, I would wait for 11gr2.

Ask youself, what will the business cost be, if you have a service interruption?
dave
me id evaluate all the products available to see what they can offer us, then id test to ensure that product is suitable for my application
mlakdawa
True - Especially if the production environment is stable.
cromagnon
We are on 11g in production and it is okay. The only big bug we have encountered was in 10.2 as well. (partitioned/iot tables not showing as contained for tt operations), metalink #6696517
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.