Performance Tuning Reference poster

Oracle training in Linux 

commands

Oracle training Weblogic Book

Easy Oracle Jumpstart

Oracle training & performance tuning books

Burleson Consulting Remote DB Administration

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Path to becoming an Oracle DBA (Questions from a student)
armtash
post Apr 6 2012, 03:13 AM
Post #1

Group: Possible Spammers
Member No.: 47,043

Hello everyone,

I am currently a university student majoring in management information systems. My goal is to get involved with Oracle upon graduation, either as a developer or a DBA. From my research, it is abundantly clear that there are some difficulties with getting into the DBA scene. No employer really is interested in someone with no experience. This leaves people like me in a difficult situation, as all I can offer a potential employer is my education.

I do, however, intend on getting internships as a developer of some sort as soon as I am comfortable with SQL, Java, and C#.

My question to the people of this forum is in regards to certificate programs, and the OCP programs. I am debating to whether it is a good idea to invest my time and money into one of these programs before entering the job market.

_________

UCLA Extension offers the following certification: https://www.uclaextension.edu/r/ProgramDeta....aspx?reg=CF518

It costs about $10,000, and you can see the list of classes if you click on the link above.

UCI Extension offers the following certification, and they guarantee OCP certification after you complete the coursework. I also believe that this program is cheaper.

http://unex.uci.edu/certificates/it/oracle_db/courses.aspx

I believe that the actual classes between the two programs are very similar, however in California UCLA is a more reputable/well known school. I do believe that the program offered by UCI is better, however I wanted to hear what you guys have to say as far what difference the reputation of the school might have.

All in all, is this something I should consider starting before graduating university? I definitely have the time to complete the program, so it wouldn't be taking away from my education. Money wise, I would be taking out a student loan to pay for the certificate.

Thank you in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
burleson
post Apr 6 2012, 07:03 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

Hi Armtash,

With salaries averaging over $100k/yr, employers are looking for people who have targeted database management, evidence from their past course choices that they are "into Oracle and database".

People who choose it as a junior have little chance, in this competitive market. The one who gets the job is the one who started college planning to be a DBA, and their transacript reflects that.

However, if you spend a few more years in school, you can make-up for that.

It took me 7 years of college to get my first DBA job . . .

>> and they guarantee OCP certification

OCP is worthless unless you want to be a consultant.

It WILL NOT help you get a day job.

The OCM is the only one that will help you get a first job:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_certification.htm

> is this something I should consider starting before graduating university?

No way, It's better to get an MBA, or better still, an MSCS degree from a good university.

The MIS degree (from an AACSB school) is weak on database courses, you need to supplement with CS courses like:

- Algorithms

- Data Structures

- Operating systems

- Programming (at least 4 semesters worth)

>> majoring in management information systems.

That's a good choice, just minor in computer science, so that you know how to write programs.

Please read carefully:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_how_to_become_an_oracle_dba.htm

>> No employer really is interested in someone with no experience.

Get a DBA job in low-paying shops, hospitals, schools, charities.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Hope this helps. . .

Donald K. Burleson
Oracle Press author
Author of Oracle Tuning: The Definitive Reference
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2014 - 12:07 AM