Performance Tuning Reference poster

Oracle training in Linux 

commands

Oracle training Weblogic Book

Easy Oracle Jumpstart

Oracle training & performance tuning books

Burleson Consulting Remote DB Administration

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ORA-19809: limit exceeded for recovery files db_recovery_file_dest_size and archiver error, Reclaiming Space in RMAN
imadba
post Dec 16 2010, 10:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,381

We recently tried to do an image copy backup of our database and we received the error

ORA-19809: limit exceeded for recovery files db_recovery_file_dest_size and archiver error.

We went into RMAN to try and delete obselete files and we still kept getting the error. Finally we deleted the files through the OS and we are still getting the same error. We have plenty of space on the OS but RMAN is still not recognizing it.

We issued the CROSSCHECK commands and now it shows that those files are unavailable. How can we get RMAN to show that there is space available? How can we delete the files through RMAN that are no longer existing on the OS??? unsure.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SteveC
post Dec 16 2010, 10:38 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,933

How much space is in the recovery file dest? You may want/need to crosscheck validate your RMAN files since you whacked things from the OS. It was a fairly easy error to fix that you may have made a bit more complicated to clean up from.

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_ora_19809_limi...or_recovery.htm

+Quote Post
imadba
post Dec 16 2010, 10:54 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (SteveC @ Dec 16 2010, 10:38 AM) *
How much space is in the recovery file dest? You may want/need to crosscheck validate your RMAN files since you whacked things from the OS. It was a fairly easy error to fix that you may have made a bit more complicated to clean up from.

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_ora_19809_limi...or_recovery.htm

We did do a crosscheck validate and the files that were deleted are now showing up as unavailable because they have been deleted through the OS. The image copy is very large one and at the time the only way I could see doing this was removing the old files through the OS because we tried a lot of RMAN commands to delete files.

We've tried running the backup for the image copy for several days now and it keeps coming back with not enough space and there is PLENTY of space on the OS for RMAN to create an image copy. We did a select * from v$flash_recovery_area_usage and it is saying that the image copy is using 97% and that there are 70 files. I don't know where these files are because, once again they were deleted through the OS.

Yes this has turned into a major fiasco and it to say the least, it has to be resolved.

+Quote Post
SteveC
post Dec 16 2010, 11:06 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Have you tried a delete expired?

See note 315098.1 on MOS.

Some RMAN resources:
http://dba-oracle.com/googlesearchsite_pro...TF-8&q=rman

+Quote Post
burleson
post Dec 16 2010, 11:12 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13

Hi,

>> I don't know where these files are because, once again they were deleted through the OS.

When a file is deleted, the inode is wiped, the file remains!

An Oracle expert will be able to recover a deleted file if it has not been overlaid.

Call 800-766-1884 if you want to try to recover the lost files from the disks . .

>> this has turned into a major fiasco and it to say the least,

RMAN is VERY sophisticated, and if you care about this data, you NEED an expert support!

If you have metal level support from Oracle, call them and open a SEV1 SR at 800-223-1711, but they will NOT help you recover lost OS files.

>> Yes it has to be resolved.

No problem.

I have some of the best Oracle experts in America who can help you recover as much as possible, and they can be hired by the hour.

If you want this recovered today, just call 800-766-1884 and explain that you need an experienced expert immediately for an incomplete recovery.

>> How can we get RMAN to show that there is space available? How can we delete the files through RMAN that are no longer existing on the OS???

Watch this video:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_disaster_recovery_using_rman.htm

You don't need to be learning RMAN during a production recovery!

Explain to your boss that you need an experienced expert to help you, before the data is gone forever!

>> because they have been deleted through the OS.

Wow! It sounds like you company will be hiring a new Systems Administrator soon!

That kind of mistake costs people their jobs . . .

>> The ORA-19809 points to the ORA-19804 error:

You can use the oerr utility to see the details for your core error:

http://www.rampant-books.com/book_0801_oracle_utilities.htm

ORA-19804: cannot reclaim string bytes disk space from string limit

Cause: Oracle cannot reclaim disk space of specified bytes from the DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE limit.

Action: There are five possible solutions:

1) Take frequent backup of recovery area using RMAN.
2) Consider changing RMAN retention policy.
3) Consider changing RMAN archivelog deletion policy.
4) Add disk space and increase DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE.
5) Delete files from recovery area using RMAN

Good Luck!

--------------------
Hope this helps. . .

Donald K. Burleson
Oracle Press author
Author of Oracle Tuning: The Definitive Reference

+Quote Post
imadba
post Dec 16 2010, 12:35 PM
Post #6

I don't know if everyone who has posted a reply to my question understand the problem at hand, but the database production server is up and running.

The problem is we are trying to generate an image copy backup and we are not able to do so because RMAN thinks it is not enough space when in fact there is space.

Reiterating, I used various RMAN commands to delete obsolete and expired data which worked. But when we tried to run the image copy backup script again it errored out saying there was not enough space. Meanwhile, it generating a lot of .dbf files under the datafile folder under the flash recovery area.

At this point I tried, for example, to delete files that were generated from the last attempt to backup using an image copy through rman and it did not remove the files that were just generated.

From that point, I went in through the OS to delete files and that did free up space on the OS but RMAN is still saying that there is not enough space when in fact there is.

I did a select * from v$flash_recovery_area_usage and it is saying that the image copy is using 96% and there are 76 files.

I don't know why and how it is showing that when all the files were deleted out of the flash recovery area.

I'm trying to figure out how to get RMAN to recognize the free space it has to do an image copy backup.
I did the crosscheck command and it does recognize files that are unavailable but how do we get RMAN to remove them from the list because using the delete expired command is not working because these files were new but they no longer exist on the OS.

+Quote Post
SteveC
post Dec 16 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

4. Resolving a Full Flash Recovery Area

There are a number of choices on how to resolve a full Flash Recovery Area when there are NO files eligible for deletion:

- Make more disk space available, and increase DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE to reflect the new space. For example :
SQL> alter system set DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE= <new size>;

- Use the command BACKUP RECOVERY AREA, to back up the contents of the Flash Recovery Area to a tertiary device such as tape. For Example:
RMAN> backup device type 'sbt_tape' recovery area;

Delete unnecessary files from the Flash Recovery Area using the RMAN delete command.

NOTE: If a host operating system command is used to delete files, then the database will not be aware of the resulting free space. Run the RMAN CROSSCHECK command to have RMAN re-check the contents of the Flash Recovery Area and identify the deleted files. Afterwards run DELETE EXPIRED to remove deleted files from the RMAN repository.

- You may also need to consider changing your backup retention policy . For Example :
RMAN> configure retention policy to recovery window of 5 days;

+Quote Post
imadba
post Dec 16 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #8

Thank you very much. I will revisit the rman commands. As of now, we don't have the tape option because the server is in a remote location. The file system in backed up though.

+Quote Post
burleson
post Dec 17 2010, 09:32 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Hi,

Sorry I did not fully understand your issue! Your urgency sounded like you had a production-down issue . . .

>> We recently tried to do an image copy backup of our database

If you want to just shut down and do a cold backup, it;s easy!

You have several options:

1 - Just use cpio or tar and clone the database:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_tips_db_copy.htm

2 - If you have a high speed link, use parallel CTAS and copy the tables, one at a time over a database link:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_create_table_select_ctas.htm

Good Luck!

--------------------
Hope this helps. . .

Donald K. Burleson
Oracle Press author

+Quote Post
imadba
post Dec 18 2010, 09:01 PM
Post #10

Thank you very much for your responses.

We were able to resolve the issue by doing the following:

Since the backup files in the flash recovery area were deleted by the OS method, rman is not aware and still keeps an account of them. We discovered this by querying the v$flash_recovery_area_usage view.

When we issued the command

Crosscheck copy of database;

It showed the same number of files that appeared in the image copy row under the v$flash_recovery_area_usage view.

At this point we issued the comand

Delete expired copy of database;

The files were then removed and we queried the v$flash_recovery_area_usage view and the number of files were now gone on the image copy row.

From this point we were now able to do a full image copy backup of the database.

And no one lost their job (thank God). wink.gif

+Quote Post
dba_ay
post Jun 22 2012, 06:22 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 47,327

ora -19809 Limit exceeded for recovery files
ora-19804: cannot reclaim 52428800 bytes disk space from 1610612736000

I carried out a full backup of my production database and got the message below

"ora -19809 Limit exceeded for recovery files
ora-19804: cannot reclaim 52428800 bytes disk space from 1181116006400"

My FRA size was initially set to 1100GB.

I increased it to 1500GB, and still got the message
ora-19804: cannot reclaim 52428800 bytes disk space from 1610612736000"

i then increased to 2000GB and still got the same message
ora-19804: cannot reclaim 52428800 bytes disk space from 2147483648000"

I freed up the FRA each time i want to implement the backup and check the OS to be sure that they are no longer existing.
My concern is that it kept repaeating the message
"cannot reclaim 52428800 bytes disk space from ......(the new value)

Can someone please help me out

+Quote Post
burleson
post Jun 22 2012, 08:35 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Hi,

Here are the possible actions to correct this error:

CODE
$ oerr ora 19804

ORA-19804: cannot reclaim string bytes disk space from string limit

Cause: Oracle cannot reclaim disk space of specified bytes from the DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE limit.

Action: There are five possible solutions:

1) Take frequent backup of recovery area using RMAN.
2) Consider changing RMAN retention policy.
3) Consider changing RMAN archivelog deletion policy.
4) Add disk space and increase DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE.
5) Delete files from recovery area using RMAN

--------------------
Hope this helps. . .

Donald K. Burleson
Oracle Press author

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 08:51 AM