Performance Tuning Reference poster

Oracle training in Linux 

commands

Oracle training Weblogic Book

Easy Oracle Jumpstart

Oracle training & performance tuning books

Burleson Consulting Remote DB Administration

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TNSPing error on a new 11g install, I'm getting a tnsping error on a new install of 11g on my XP with
TaxPayersMoney
post Aug 30 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 41,665

I'm getting the following error on my tnsping after an install of 11g:
Message 3511 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK, facility=TNSTNS-035
05: Message 3505 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK, facility=TNS

I installed 11g on my Windows XP machine that I already had 9i installed on. After install, I went down to the start button and then clicked on Home Selector to make sure 11g was my Oracle home but it said only one client was installed and didn't give me the option to switch. Afterward I found out that the new 11g home selector is in the Oracle install software so I started it up again and it looks like the path is where I installed the software. During install, I just took the default path that the Oracle software picked to install 11g. After the install, I also copied over my tnsnames and sqlnet files to the new 11g Network/Admin directory. I believe from the error message of the TNSping that it doesn't know where my Oracle home is. Hopefully the fix will just be a simple registry edit. Sincere thanks for you replies.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brian Carr
post Aug 30 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,137

>> I believe from the error message of the TNSping that it doesn't know where my Oracle home is
Set your ORACLE_HOME via a command shell prompt and then try again. This will tell you if your theory is correct.

See http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_windows_multip...try_entries.htm

If the above does not help also consider setting the TNS_ADMIN variable explicitly

--------------------

+Quote Post
burleson
post Aug 31 2009, 08:34 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13

Hi,

>> I went down to the start button and then clicked on Home Selector to make sure 11g was my Oracle home but it said only one client was installed and didn't give me the option to switch.

This would be a good time to put down the GUI and eamine the TNS component files at the OS level!

Here are the steps that I use to debug connection issues:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_troubleshootin...vity_errors.htm

In your case, the problem occurs because your default $ORACLE_SID is not found in your tnsnames,ora file.

Try this:

CODE
root> set ORACLE_SID=mysid
root> export ORACLE_SID
root>  tnsping mysid

--------------------
Hope this helps. . .

Donald K. Burleson
Oracle Press author
Author of Oracle Tuning: The Definitive Reference

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 09:03 AM