Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Multiple Listeners for single instance - 11g
Dick B
post May 10 2017, 07:38 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 46,936

I have a specific database instance (11.2.0.3) that I would like to create a second listener for. I have a single Oracle Home,
all instances are at the same rev. of Oracle Enterprise edition. My goal is to have a standard listener on port 1521 for all instances,
and then a separate one on a different port that I can start and stop independent of the 1521 port listener.

Everything that I have read about multiple listeners seems to show two different Oracle Homes, or the two listeners configured in a
single LISTENER.ORA. If I put the parameters for the second listener in the single LISTENER.ORA file, can I start and stop the second
listener (on the non-1521 port) independently of the 1521 listener without disrupting the connections being handled on the 1521
listener for the other instances?

I'm having trouble finding documentation that is "on point"... Any guidance would be appreciated....
dry.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
burleson
post May 14 2017, 04:25 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

Hi D I c k,

>> Everything that I have read about multiple listeners seems to show two different Oracle Homes,

Yes, because with dedicated connections, a singe listener process can handle hundreds of connections per second!

Unless you have different connection protocols, multiple listener processes are not necessary, even under heady loads.

See here:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_configure_multiple_listeners.htm

--------------------
Hope this helps. . .

Donald K. Burleson
Oracle Press author
Author of Oracle Tuning: The Definitive Reference
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2017 - 05:29 PM